Another quick update to show some progress made this evening. I’ve plugged my inverse kinematics code into a quick and dirty motor controlling serial comms link to the Arduino and can now move the head of the delta robot to arbitrary XYZ coordinates. Here’s a video showing the plotting of slightly misshapen square (need some micro-switches to finished the calibration routine)
I should be able to get some more speed out of it by improving the Arduino comms link (it’s sending individual steps to the motors).
I’ll get around to doing a more descriptive post once I’ve got G-Code interpretation working (all the python code is done, just have to plug the bits together).
Here’s a quick video showing the first movement of the robot:
The video is only short because one of the grips for the toothed belts worked loose and it ended up crashing, fortunately there was no damage.
Laser cut parts and mechanical accessories have all arrived so without further ado here’s the first image of the linear delta robot as it currently stands.
I’m very happy with how it turned out, managed to not make any massive errors in the design and it’s not fallen apart that much since being bolted together. I’ll post more info, the design files, plus a video once it’s started to move.
In other exciting yet totally redundant news I’ve settled on a name for it. It will be called *insert drumroll* the Bakewell Liner Delta Robot. I’ve settled on this name mainly as a homage to the Rostock delta robot from which i took a lot of inspiration.
I’ll be showing off the (hopefully) working robot at MakerFaireMCR on the 28th and 29th of July at the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) in Manchester.