Spent the weekend in St Neots visiting my friend Pete where we drank heavily and sellotaped mobile phones to kites (A blog post on that later). Took the day off on Monday and we both travelled down to London and did some laser cutting on a machine rented at blueprint model shop. Here are some photos of the cut parts:
As kind of expected a bunch of stuff is slightly wrong with the parts, but nothing that can’t be easily fixed.
It’s bloody awesome seeing something I’ve spent so long designing on a computer in actual-real life. Alas there’s plenty of work left to do on the software and electronics side of things, but it’s nice to have made this milestone.
The 3D scanner hasn’t made much progress in the past month or so, due mainly to me putting off doing the last bit of boring work to get it ready for laser cutting. After drinking a load of Tesco own brand energy drink last night I decided to get all the fiddly bits done, and so here is the final 3D model and the layout of the parts for cutting:
The parts have now flown through the intertubes over to cutlasercut to get a quote for the cutting, and hopefully, if it doesn’t bankrupt me, I’ll be getting all the parts cut soon! wooo!
On a side note, after getting some good feedback on the introduction to markov chains I wrote I’m hoping to do another one that covers another interesting area of artificial intelligence in the near future.
Heres one of the first results of the new and improved 3D scanner software:
Theres still plenty of bugs to iron out in the software, but when thats all done i’ll make an “offical” first release of the software which will be available here at the google code repo.
I’m going to try and get a number of different builds available as well (64bit GNU/Linux, 32bit GNU/Linux, and a Windows release).
Also here’s a quick look at the new portable 3D scanner being made:
So I’ve been having a tinker with the 3D scanner again and I’ve got it working with my Cannon SX200 + a custom CHDK remote trigger script. This means the actual scan time is now about 3/4 of an hour and I only get about 2 scans per camera charge, but! (and this is a big but) I get glorious 12 mega-pixel resolution and awesome image quality.
This has meant I’ve had to have a rather massive overhaul of the model generating software to reduce memory usage, add more controls to the GUI, remove the OpenCV dependency, and generally make it more usable. It’s not finished yet, but here’s is a look at an early version of the new GUI:
Still need to beautify the layout a bit and write a considerable chunk of code. But it hopefully should be worth it.
As always the code is open source and available from the repository, but be warned the current committed version is massively broken, so if you want a working version checkout revision 2 (yeah, I know it’s probably terrible practice to break the main repo’s code, but what the hell, it’s not like anyone besides me is actually using this stuff).
Here are a few scan results:
A Selection of 3D Models Displayed in Meshlab
From top left clockwise: Box of Swan filters, bottom half of a glue bottle, roll of solder , nodding monkey, candle in holder on coaster, bottom half of frijj bottle.
Slight disclaimer: The models are shown from there “best” angles. Some are deformed, due to not being able to set the centre of rotation yet in the scanning software, some have slightly dark meshes in places, due to the LED lights not being good enough, and all of them have had a laplacian filter applied to smooth out the meshes a bit. Also most of the objects were chosen because they produce good models given the scanners limitations . So there’s still plenty of room for improvement.