Spent the weekend in St Neots visiting my friend Pete where we drank heavily and sellotaped mobile phones to kites (A blog post on that later). Took the day off on Monday and we both travelled down to London and did some laser cutting on a machine rented at blueprint model shop. Here are some photos of the cut parts:
As kind of expected a bunch of stuff is slightly wrong with the parts, but nothing that can’t be easily fixed.
It’s bloody awesome seeing something I’ve spent so long designing on a computer in actual-real life. Alas there’s plenty of work left to do on the software and electronics side of things, but it’s nice to have made this milestone.
Heres one of the first results of the new and improved 3D scanner software:
Theres still plenty of bugs to iron out in the software, but when thats all done i’ll make an “offical” first release of the software which will be available here at the google code repo.
I’m going to try and get a number of different builds available as well (64bit GNU/Linux, 32bit GNU/Linux, and a Windows release).
Also here’s a quick look at the new portable 3D scanner being made:
So I’ve been having a tinker with the 3D scanner again and I’ve got it working with my Cannon SX200 + a custom CHDK remote trigger script. This means the actual scan time is now about 3/4 of an hour and I only get about 2 scans per camera charge, but! (and this is a big but) I get glorious 12 mega-pixel resolution and awesome image quality.
This has meant I’ve had to have a rather massive overhaul of the model generating software to reduce memory usage, add more controls to the GUI, remove the OpenCV dependency, and generally make it more usable. It’s not finished yet, but here’s is a look at an early version of the new GUI:
Still need to beautify the layout a bit and write a considerable chunk of code. But it hopefully should be worth it.
As always the code is open source and available from the repository, but be warned the current committed version is massively broken, so if you want a working version checkout revision 2 (yeah, I know it’s probably terrible practice to break the main repo’s code, but what the hell, it’s not like anyone besides me is actually using this stuff).
Got a new Cannon Powershot sx200is (was promptly CHDK’d) which can do some surprisingly good 720p video. So I thought I’d have a bash at running some footage through the timeslicing code I’ve written. Unfortunately the re-encoding with ffmpeg wasn’t so good so the quality is a bit out of whack, but here is is anyway with the wonderful BlackCloud1711 modelling for the footage:
Also here’s a couple of pictures of an old GCSE (I think) project. It’s a parallel port controlled pen drum plotter. Most of the mechanical hardware was built by my dad with a couple of design suggestions thrown in from me, all the electronics and software was done by me (before the days of fancy-pancy arduinos). It’s controlled through the parallel port with all the code written in QBasic on a IBM100 (100Mhz raaaawwww power, also the first computer that was mine, it was only about 10 years out of date).
One of these days I’ll get round to adding an arduino with a G-Code interpreter to it so I can get some delicious plotting action on the go.
Been spending the past few evenings playing around with and rewriting the time slicing code I wrote a while back. It now pushes and pops the camera frames into a fixed size buffer and allows you to set the rotation of the “slice” through the buffer. The effect this achieves is quite difficult to describe so here is a video to demonstrate it.
Here’s a brief description of each of the sections.
- Normal video recorded @ 640×480 with a cheap webcam in my front yard. Splitting the frames out using ffmpeg for processing greatly reduced the quality of the subsequent sections (probably need to play around with some switches).
- Time slice set at 45 degrees, effectively making columns of pixels to the right of the image be further back in time the columns on the left. The video appears to “grow” from the centre at the start of the section as the frame buffer fills up.
- The time slice slowly rotates about the centre axis, changing the view from one instance in time at 0 degrees to the “history” of the centre column of pixels at 180 degrees.
- Same as previous section but with the slice rotating faster. Note how objects at the edge appear to be sped up while objects towards the centre slow down, this is due to the rotation of the slice effectively speeding up the play back of columns of pixels at the edge of the frames.
Why am I wandering aimlessly through an overgrown yard? Well the idea was the movement of the plants would look cool, but the web-cam I used to capture the video was too shitty to pick up much detail. One of these day’s I’ll save up for a decent video camera.
Currently the slice is only rotatable in one axis, will hopefully change this in later versions to allow full 3D positioning, and will probably get round to releasing the code at some point aswell.
Here are a few scan results:
A Selection of 3D Models Displayed in Meshlab
From top left clockwise: Box of Swan filters, bottom half of a glue bottle, roll of solder , nodding monkey, candle in holder on coaster, bottom half of frijj bottle.
Slight disclaimer: The models are shown from there “best” angles. Some are deformed, due to not being able to set the centre of rotation yet in the scanning software, some have slightly dark meshes in places, due to the LED lights not being good enough, and all of them have had a laplacian filter applied to smooth out the meshes a bit. Also most of the objects were chosen because they produce good models given the scanners limitations . So there’s still plenty of room for improvement.